Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Take A Moment To Remember...

As I sit here, thinking of other blogs to write, thinking of the series of writings I am working on about stories, thinking about what I am to give up for Lent,  my thoughts keep wandering back to the word "remember." A few years ago a sweet friend told me, in the midst of all that was going on around her the Lord was calling her to "remember." Remember...at the time I thought what an interesting discipline, remembrance. And now sitting here I have come to see there are these moments, in our lives, where I feel the Lord has us pause...and remember. Moment's where in the midst of all the chaos of life...He...just...wants...us...to...pause. Because where we were and where we are and where we are heading are all converging on this moment...this...single...moment. The moment where we realize that the hardships and failures have led to a joyous moment of gratitude. And just like the Israelites would pause on the riverbank, give thanks for the Lord's provision, and leave an altar of stones for those who came behind to remember, we too must take moments to pause, to remember. and leave our own altars of remembrance. Saturday as I was running a race, a race I never thought I would run again, a race that meant so much more than 3.1 miles, I realized this is the moment. This is the moment where the past two years of questions, the two years of failed treatments culminating in a surgery that no one knew for sure would be successful, the past two years of watching my brave uncle battle ALS that ultimately claimed his life last year right before my surgery and knowing I am blessed to even be walking much less running, the present weeks of training patience and diligence through hurt and pain, and the future possibilities of my life collided. The moment where the hand of the Father was seen from the beginning of this journey to the now; the moment where as I was running up the final hill towards the finish, I could feel the Father taking the load from my leg, taking the load from my heart, and propelling me towards the finish. The moment where in the midst of my arms pumping all I could do was feebly raise my hand in thanks and sing in my head "there You go lifting my load again." The moment where as a song so perfectly puts it "the hurt and the Healer collide." I collided with my Healer, and in that moment the hurt and the pain collided with the Truth and from the collision came an outburst of joy and gratitude, of emotion and tears. This was the moment to remember, the moment to remember how far the Father has brought and how much further the Father is taking. The moment to remember what the Lord has done, remember Who the Lord is, and remember what He is continuing to do. As Lent approaches, this is a season to remember, this is a season to take this time to institute the discipline of remembrance. "Take a moment to remember...."


Great song of remembrance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvdkbBPSx4I

No comments:

Post a Comment