Saturday, January 17, 2015

When Life Doesn't Make Sense

Three full weeks, Daniel was in mourning and was fasting. No sweets, no meat, no wine...He had heard a word and it had deeply troubled him, throwing him into mourning. From previous chapters we can make the sound assumption he was also praying, as he always had done. He was a man of consistency,  a man of sound character, a man of discipline.  On the twenty-fourth day of the month, after three full weeks of fasting, Daniel has a vision. He is lacking strength, he is left alone, and he falls on his face into a deep sleep. The Man in the vision touches him and speaks five powerful words, "Oh Daniel, man greatly loved." Here in the midst of mourning, of conflict within his spirit over the words he had received, the Father reached down and reminded him, "Son...you are greatly loved!'' The Man continues "Stand up, I have sent you, I have chosen you...fear not, from day one of you knowing Who I Am and humbling yourself before Me, I have heard your words. I have heard your prayers; I have not forgotten them. Your prayers are what have brought me here to you, right now, in this moment. I know the words you have received and they are tough. They are hard to understand, but fear not, I...am...here...now." Sometime life doesn't make sense. In the midst of trouble and fasting we hear the Father saying "YOU ARE LOVED!" and all we can do is respond as Daniel responds, "I have no words to say; I have no breath to breathe; I have not one ounce of strength left in me. I am afraid; I am anxious. The words that I have received have spiraled me into a time of deep mourning and fasting, and I have nothing left inside of me." Sometimes life doesn't make sense. In the moment of everything caving in, in the moment of no strength, no words, all fear and anxiety, in the moment where life does not make sense, the Man reaches down, touches us, and says "Oh child...child greatly loved. Fear not, be strong, be courageous, be bold, be of good courage, peace be over you and through you and with you." As the Man spoke, Daniel was strengthened; as the Man speaks, WE are strengthened. As the words fell from the lips of the Man, energy rushed back through the veins of Daniel; peace from the Spirit shot through his body; bravery courage boldness pierced the fear and anxiety, and he was able to stand. He was able to receive the assignment the Father had prepared for him, the words he needed to deliver, the visions of things yet to come. Sometimes life doesn't make sense. Like Daniel, we faithfully attempt to follow the Father; we faithfully desire to be a man or woman who does as "he always did." We speak truth, stand for what is right, what is noble what is pure what is holy what is just. We try to model our life our vision our inner being after the One Who created us, Who saved us, Who sustains us. And life just doesn't make sense. People leave us, people set out to destroy us, friendships fall a part, coworkers neglect to defend us, loved ones harm us, marriages fall a part, loved ones return to their Maker, jobs are loss, finances are depleted, health is taken, character is challenged, reputation is shaken. The evil that surrounds the earth somehow entangles us in her horrible snare. And we are left like Daniel, mourning, fasting, lacking strength, lacking words to pray, on the brink of fear and anxiety overwhelming us. In that moment, the Father gently touches us, and reminds us "Oh Child, Child you are greatly loved. I have heard your prayers, from the day I created you and chose you to be mine, from the moment I drew your spirit to mine, and you humbled yourself before Me and became My child, I have heard your prayers.Your prayers are what brought me to you right now, in this moment. Fear not, child, be brave. Be bold. Be courageous. Peace be with you. Your assignment in life may not be easy, your lot in life will be filled with difficulties, but I have not forgotten you. I have not neglected you. Press on. There will be joy that comes in the morning. There will be blessings that come from perseverance. You are greatly loved...and I am faithfully good." 
When life doesn't make sense, may we do as Daniel did, faithfully keep praying,  faithfully keep seeking, never forgetting the promises of truth.  

1 comment:

  1. WoW! How you can write now with that much insight, clarity and creativity is beyond me! This momma's heart is so full of mixed emotions...but the Lord's faithfulness and provision are the membrane holding it together...He WILL provide for all your needs for He HAS the ultimate resource networking and He ALONE knows what and how. Loving my punkin from afar...MoM

    ReplyDelete