Saturday, February 11, 2012

Saturday's Thought...Boldness

I remember the first time, my freshman year of college, I had to confront a professor over a grade; I called my parents, scared, their advice, "We can't have the conversation for you." Great advice for an 18 year old who did not like confrontation; knees shaking, hands sweaty, I walked into his office. Four years later, I sat in front of my Head Athletic Trainer, about to turn down multiple Athletic Training Graduate Assistant positions...to go to China for a year, putting my career and my education on hold. And since college, I have walked into many a conversation where I was scared what the outcome may be. I have been placed in many situations, be it by my lack of discernment or by the sheer testing of my faith, where I had to find the words to say and not worry about what would result, but press forward in confidence and covered in prayer. Boldness, courage, lack of fear...."The wicked flee when no one pursues,but the righteous are bold as a lion." (Prov 28:1), "Since we have such a hope, we are very bold," (2 Cor 3:12),"And most of the brothers, having become confident in the Lord by my imprisonment, are much more bold to speak the word without fear. "(Phil 1:14), "Accordingly, though I am bold enough in Christ to command you to do what is required," (Philemon 1:8) "Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” (Deut 31:6) Scripture after scripture points to believers being BOLD and CONFIDENT in our faith. We are to be as "bold as a lion." Think about that, truly meditate on the strength and power of that phrase...we have an awesome power within us to set ourselves apart in boldness and in confidence, and to approach all circumstances with the strength of the Holy Spirit within us; we can be like a lion, boldly proclaiming truth, boldly living in truth. What is it that you need boldness for today? Do you need to approach a family member and ask forgiveness? Do you have a professor who has wronged you on a paper? Are you involved in a relationship that needs to be changed? Do you have a secret habit that you need to expose to your spouse? Do you have a friend you have wrongly accused? Are you debating, as I was in front of my Head Athletic Trainer, the future, your career, your job situation, and you know what you should do but lack the boldness to step out and do? Are your finances causing anxiety and you lack the boldness to ask for help? What conversations, what situations are you facing, where there is a fear and an anxiety about what may result? Just as the Lord gave Moses the boldness and the words to say as he faced Pharaoh, the same Lord will give you the boldness and the words to say as you face your situation. We can approach the throne with boldness and confidence, seeking His wisdom and His words, and we can approach life with the same boldness and confidence as we seek to glorify Him in our actions and our words. Throughout the book of Joshua, the Lord constantly reminded Joshua to be strong and courageous, and what is amazing as the book progresses, Joshua in return commands the people to be strong and courageous. As we face a day of rest and worship tomorrow, may we turn our hearts to the One Who is able to give us the words to say, the power to say them, the strength to set ourselves apart and be different, the boldness to take on conversations that need to be held, the courage to face change no matter what the cost, the confidence that whatever tomorrow may bring He is still Sovereign: 
"No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you. Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them. Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go. This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” And Joshua commanded the officers of the people...
(Joshua 1:5-10 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment