Thursday, February 9, 2012

Today's Thought

I'm sitting at my desk, two students in front of me, an athlete is hurt, in the hospital. They know medical bills are going to be outstanding, they want to do something, but not sure what. I gently guide them, telling them to pray and think, and they will know what to do. As they talk, they develop a plan, they see the need, they want to meet it. My sister is hurting, hear it in her voice, I know who she's thinking about, unsure what to say, I just sit there, all I know to do is listen and say I love you. Your husband has lost his job, you know all he wants to do is provide for your family, he's being strong but you see through the eyes and into the heart, he's hurting, you wrap your arms around him and hold him, no words are said. Your mom has a great job, but it is wearing her down, it's taking a toll on her mind, body, soul, and spirit, but financially it's a great job, she's struggling to know the Lord's will, all you can do is listen and pray. Your best friend is hurting, a season in the valley, you wish you could do more, you are unsure what to say, what to do, you want to help them through the pain, but how?
How many times have you thought to yourself, "I wish I could do more," "I wish I knew what to say," "I don't do enough for you," "How am I supposed to help them?" We find ourselves sitting back and thinking "I don't know what to do," "I don't know what to say," and then we find ourselves apologizing for not saying and not doing what we think we should be saying and should be doing.
It is hard when there is hurt, when you see needs and are unsure how to meet them. How many times have I wished I had the money to help pay for someone's bills or the words to say that will take the pain away? How many times have I cried myself to sleep out of the hurt in my heart I have for the ones I care for? How many times have I just wanted to take the pain and the struggles away from a family member or best friend and suffer for them? 
When we are unsure what to say, when we are unsure what to do, when we find ourselves saying "I wish I could..." "I don't know what to..." we need to stop ourselves and not let our thoughts continue. If we truly love someone we will never have to doubt what we are doing and saying, because everything we do and say is guided by the Holy Spirit and is being prompted and encouraged by Him. We are called to encourage, to intercede for, to comfort, to spur one another on, to put others' interests before our own, to lay hands on, and ultimately to lay our lives down for. As long as we are walking in the Spirit, whatever we do, be it in word or deed, will bring glory to Him and will be exactly what He has called us to do. 

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of these verses: 1Pe 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
    1Pe 4:13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
    1Pe 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

    ReplyDelete